April 14, 2010
Posted by on
Back on March 24, my Mom’s birthday ironically, I heard about the death of my cousin Aaron. He dies March 22, in Lewiston. Obviously my aunt did not want it written into the paper that it was a drug overdose, but that’s what my Nana told my Mom — someone in that sect of my father’s family had finally been done in by drugs.
I cringe typing this. Yes, Aaron will be missed, but the thing that sticks in my craw is the fact that no one in my family will learn from this experience. Those that still drink themselves into a drunken stooper on a regular basis will continue to do so. Those that smoke pot for “medicinal” purposes of not being able to deal with the real world will continue to do so. Those who dabble in “hard” drugs because “there’s nothing else to do in Rumford” will continue to do so. Nothing will be learned from Aaron’s death. All that I can say is that he died in vain, the same way our Uncle Steven died seven years ago this December.